The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily - Richelle Mead Originally posted on Book-o-Craze

First paragraph: Most people would find being led into an underground bunker on a stormy night scary. Not me.

So, let me take a moment and gather all my thoughts on that book.
I should probably start with mentioning that I practically inhaled this second installment of my favorite spin-off of my favorite series. Although, to be accurate, I don't view it that way anymore. I feel like the Bloodlines series is a stand-alone series that just take place in the same world as my favorite series. I love them, to be put simply.

To be honest, at the beginning I found it a little hard to identify with Sydney's practical logic. I hadn't read much about the characters for a long, long time. A way to distract me from the fact that I couldn't get my hands on the book soon enough!
But, halfway through the second chapter I was more than ready to get into Sydney's shoes and completely understand her feelings. (Her inadequacy at understanding the romantical feelings towards her person, not included, but that just adds to what a special and unique character she is.)

I have mentioned (more than) multiple times how creative and capturing I find Richelle Mead's writing. And, obviously I will keep on doing it. Why? Because these books just get better and better. I might miss Rose and the way she was thinking, but Sydney offers a whole new perspective of seeing things, and I totally enjoy her being so different from (yet, so the same with) Rose. Although, I would prefer it if these two characters were made to seem more friendly around each other. I totally understand that this can't happen, though. Because of Adrian and his feelings about the different heroines, because of Jill and her totally differing sentiments about them... And, last but not least, this is Sydney's story. Rose's is back where Lissa is. And, Dimitri, of course.

With that said, I think it's time for me to mention some of the events that took place in this book.
Well, the fact that the authors seem to have everything planned out ahead and give clues way before things happen, can't stop amazing me, even though it happens all the time. It's just awesome, being able to get led to a clue on your own, even before the hero(ine) does and link it with something you had read so much time ago.
Anyway, some important revelations will happen on this book. Vampire hunters (or, Warriors of the Light, as they prefer to be called) appear, seemingly out of the blue, seeing as not even Alchemists knew about their current existence.
Trey reveals he's much more that what meets the eye.
Sydney finds a new romantic interest, although I'm not sure how romantic it is.
Adrian has started showing more feelings about Sydney, even before the end of the first book of Bloodlines.
Eddie's relationship with Jill takes a weird turn. Even for me. It was totally unexpected, and seeing as I have not read anything about how the series will supposedly unfold, I'm quite stricken about the fact.

Overall, Sydney's romances, I sadly realized, have a lot in common with my own. A lot...
And, as the series progress I find it harder to not be in Team Adrian. We see a whole different aspect of his personality. And, I like that. Just like he admits, Sydney helps him to be better, but no in the same way Rose did. Ugh. I can't say more.

I'm so confused.
Not only about Dimitri and Adrian, Rose and Sydney, but with the whole VA and Bloodlines world.
It's not like I want to have one of them as being more favorite than the other, it just unnerves me that I find it harder and harder to remember the events that took place in the VA series in the correct order. And, I'm definitely not going to re-read the books now.
I'm planning on doing it when the Bloodlines series are over, too.
I'm so anxious.

I know I went over the top about this book, and it's probably the longest review I've ever written.
But, how else could I possibly express my love about the book, the series, the heroine, the characters, my astonishment on the unfolding of the events, my anxiety to get my hands on The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3), and my satisfaction that I won't have to wait until the next summer. Oh, and I just realised that the hard semester that is coming will have just passed on February that it will be released. What else could a person ask for?